Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Satisfy My Thirsty Soul

"In prayer we are occupied with our needs, in thanksgiving we are occupied with our blessings, but in worship we are totally occupied with God Himself." As I read these words, I "heard" God saying, "Wake up, Linda! I want you to be alive to me. I long for you to know how deep my love is for you. And my desire is that your heart will burst with love for only me. "

I had loved God since becoming a Christian at age twenty, but something new began to stir in my heart; it went beyond loving Him. I grew to adore Him. I started to long to be with Him. I began to understand what David meant when he said, "My soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you." (Psalm 63:1)

Worship is our love responding to God's love. When we become aware of that love, our responses are worship responses. And the beautiful thing is God comes to us when we worship!


This quote comes from a book that has changed my life and my relationship with my Father in a profound way. Early this summer I was invited to participate in a Facebook-based Bible study, using the book Satisfy My Thirsty Soul by Linda Dillow.



At the time I wasn't sure if I should join, but I was not currently actively engaged in a structured study because my usual Bible study had adjourned for the summer. I figured, "Hey, why not. It's better than what I am currently doing," which was struggling to be disciplined just to spend a little time in the Word every day, accountable to no one, and lacking the hunger and thirst for God that I knew that I was missing.

Happy is the one who hears the joyful call to worship, for he will walk in the light of your presence, Lord. (Psalm 89:15)


I have learned first-hand the truth of this Word. We enter the presence of God through worship. And joy awaits when we walk in his presence!

Through her book, Linda Dillow, has helped me to learn what it means and what it looks like to worship God personally: both praising Him on my knees and worshiping Him through the way that I choose to live my life. I worship my Father with the words that I choose to say or to not say. I worship Him in the way that I go about my work each day. I worship God by bowing my will and my pain in submission to His will for my life.

Through this I have come to know my Father better and I look forward to the quiet times that I spend with Him more than ever before. I long to spend time on my knees, the Psalms as my songbook of praise. When I miss my usual time with Him, I MISS it. I miss HIM.

I still have a long way to go, but I have definitely grown a lot.

So all of this is to say: Please read this book. Consider working through it with a Bible study group or just read it on your own. You will be blessed.

No comments: