Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I Heart Netflix

...because we have access to movies that we could never get at Blockbuster. In the past few months we have watched several wonderful documentaries about Africa that opened our eyes to the rich history and beautiful lands of the continent, as well as the terrible struggles and suffering that they have endured.

I am hungry to learn all that I can about Africa these days. In sixteen years of private education, I never studied anything about the history or culture of Africa. We studied about the Americas, Europe, Asia, Australia... but never Africa. Why is Africa so neglected? I have so much to learn.

Here are a few documentaries that I highly recommend:

War Dance
- about three children who live in a refugee camp in northern Uganda.

National Geographic: Africa - 4 DVDS with 8 episodes, each beautifully highlighting the culture and history of a country in Africa. One is about Ethiopia! We LOVED this!

The Empire in Africa - tells the story of the horrible civil war in Sierra Leone in the 1990's. It is very graphic.

God Grew Tired of Us - about the experience of three "Lost Boys of Sudan" who move from a refugee camp to America.

You just can't get movies like these at your local video store!

Does anyone have any additional movies or books to recommend?

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I have a friend here who just recently visited Sierra Leone on a mission trip if you want me to put you in touch with her.