Monday, August 17, 2009

If You Are Looking for Something to Read...

...Then let me offer a few suggestions. I have read several books lately that have touched me and changed me. If you are interested in learning more about orphans or Africa, then all three of these are must reads.




Tom Davis does an amazing job in his first work of fiction telling the story of a young girl living in an AIDS ravaged village in Swaziland. I love to read well-written fiction-with-a-purpose: books where I can learn something important, grow and be changed, and really enjoy the story in the meantime. This book definitely falls into that category. I wholeheartedly recommend it.



Any family considering adopting a child from Ethiopia absolutely must read this book. Melissa Fay Greene tells the true story of Haregewoin, a dear lady who opens her home and heart to care for two, then ten, then dozens, and eventually hundreds of orphaned and abandoned children in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Greene uses her gifts (her writing is beautiful) to share much information about Ethiopia - history, culture, the AIDS problem. I learned so much reading this book, and I plan to read it a second time. As soon as I make it through the stack of books waiting on my bedside table...



This one is an autobiograpy written by R.B. Mitchell. Mitchell was abandoned by his mentally-ill mother at the age of three and grew up in an orphanage in Illinois. He shares candidly about his anger, bitterness, and loneliness. But it is ultimately a story of hope and healing. Mitchell comes to Christ and works through the pain of his past.

Here are the books again:
Scared by Tom Davis
There Is No Me Without You by Melissa Fay Greene
Castaway Kid by R.B. Mitchell

I would love to know what books have most affected you. Any recommendations?

3 comments:

Amy @ Literacy Launchpad said...

Have read There's No Me Without You. Actually, I listened to it on an audio book, which I highly recommend, because you get to hear all the unusual names and words pronounced for you. Although, they pronounced them differently in the book than I ever hear people pronounce them in real life. David and I are always getting into debates about how certain words are supposed to be said... I would think they researched the proper way to pronounce the words before recording the audio version of the book. No? Anyway, I'm rambling. I also want to read this one again! Next time I'll probably read it instead of listening to it... if I have the time.

GinSpaghetti said...

Have read all but the last one on your list, great books! Same Kind of Different As Me (not about adoption in the same sense but amazing book) -- and my favorite of all time ever, Crazy Love, Francis Chan. Best. Book. Ever. Written! :)

Sara said...

Thanks for this post! I'll add these to the never-ending list of books I want to read.