Monday, May 18, 2009

Trashy Blessings

I’m too tired to write right now. I’m not sure how well I can express myself today, but I will give it a shot. Daniel and I had an exhausting weekend, chock full of blessings. Friday afternoon, we got a last minute phone call with an offer to make some money for our adoption fund over the weekend. My uncle was the chair of the grounds committee for the Bellevue Community Picnic on Saturday, and he needed two people to work as janitors at the picnic all day on Saturday. So Daniel and I arrived at 8 am with trash bags and brooms in tow and spent the day emptying trash cans and picking up litter. The day was very long (we worked until 11 pm), and we were absolutely exhausted at the end of the day (I don’t even remember driving home). But overall it was surprisingly pleasant. It was a beautiful day (well, except for the 45 minute monsoon at mid-day…); we got to be together all day; we enjoyed people watching at the picnic; and we got a break from being mom and day ALL day AND overnight. But the best thing of all is that we earned $500 for our adoption fund! Thank you Uncle Steve for helping us get a little closer to bringing our son home!

Sunday morning Daniel had to get up at 5:30 to work at a Habitat for Humanity building site. He chaired the committee at his work that was in charge of this project, and Sunday was the last day. He had to be there. I don’t know how he managed toget up so early! Meanwhile, my parents still had Madeline and so I got to enjoy actually being able to sit through the entire church service and listen to the whole sermon. Wow! I had some great conversations after church, and they were totally uninterrupted. It felt amazing! Then I went to lunch with a dear friend who was having a birthday, and I got to just enjoy being out with friends with no interruptions. What a rare blessing!

So it was a great weekend. I’m still recovering from the utter exhaustion of Saturday’s work, but it is such a good feeling to work hard with purpose. I will be posting an update soon on where we stand in the adoption process. Until then…

1 comment:

Amy @ Literacy Launchpad said...

Wow. What a neat opportunity God dropped in your laps. We're hoping we'll get some of those along the way on our adoption journey... which will begin this summer when we submit our application.