Friday, April 10, 2009

Fingerprints......Check!


Daniel and I were fingerprinted twice this week – once by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) and once by the FBI. Each time Daniel was told that he should never rob a bank because of his deep and distinct fingerprints. Good to know.

Going to the FBI site on Thursday was a pleasure. The site also serves as the location where people who are going through the immigration process must report to be fingerprinted. When we arrived, we found four rows of chairs filled with waiting people from many different nations – Russia, Vietnam (we think), Mexico, Tanzania, and….Ethiopia! I spotted him immediately. He was sitting on the front row. As my eyes moved over the crowded area, looking for a place to sit, they paused on him and I thought – “He has got to be from Ethiopia!” He had the beautiful characteristic skin tone, the distinctive features, and the smooth dark hair. He left before I had a chance to talk to him (I have GOT to get over my shy-ness and learn to just talk to people), but I confirmed my suspicions by asking the fingerprinting lady where he was from. It makes me giddy to just be in the same room as someone from Ethiopia!

I love to people watch, and this was a great place to do it. We waited on the back row so that we could see everyone in the room. I enjoyed guessing their stories, wondering about the details of what brought them from their home countries to where they are today: waiting in an immigration office to be fingerprinted so they can become citizens or permanent residents of the United States. I was struck again (as I often am these days) by how blessed I am to have been born in America, a country that so many are willing to give up so much to come to. I was born having freedoms that many in this world will never enjoy. And many will risk their lives to attain.

I have done nothing to deserve the life of privilege that I live. I am certain of that. I am also certain that God did not send me to a Christian family with parents who love me in a country where I live in freedom and without fear just so that I can sit back and relax for the rest of my life, while accumulating possessions and saving for a bigger house.

“From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.” - Luke 12:48

Oh Lord, show me your will for my life. I have been entrusted with much. I want to give much. May I be found faithful.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

wow--is that daniel's actual fingerprint? how were yours? beautiful post!

congratulations on one step closer!