Friday, March 20, 2009

Paralysis of THE

~by Daniel

I have spent most of my life searching and praying for THE right thing God wants me to do with my life. “God, please show me THE thing you want me to do with my life.” Not a bad question to ask -- so long as it’s not paralyzing. The trouble is it often is. When I’m busy trying to figure out if this or that is THE right thing I’m focused inward. The result -- I often miss a thousand daily opportunities to do A right thing for others and for God.

“Farmers who wait for perfect weather never plant. If they watch every cloud, they never harvest. “ ~Ecclesiastes 11

If I wait until I’m comfortable and confident before I act, I never will. I do think God wants us use our noggins, to be thoughtful and prayerful when making decisions. Yet I’m sure he doesn’t want us to be like the squirrel I met on the road last week. He first went left, then right, then left, then right, and finally blump, blump. In searching for our purpose we can be paralyzed into “ready, aim, aim, aim…” and all the while God is saying “Child, FIRE already! I love you and I want you to join me on all the adventures I have for you, but I need you to trust me and saddle up.”

Which brings me to our decision to adopt. Is it THE purpose God has for my life? Maybe. Maybe it’s just the beginning. Either way I’m not going to lose sleep over it because I know for sure that it is A right thing in the Kingdom of God. I’m tired of sitting on the bench watching the other kids play ball. I choose faith over fear. Giddy-up.

1 comment:

Matt said...

I really like this entry....hard to do sometimes, but I so agree. ~~chrissy