Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Vermont

I’m back from my blogging sabbatical. Daniel, Madeline, and I returned on Sunday from a restful yet exhausting, beautiful and exhilarating trip to Vermont. The snow was gorgeous. I often wonder why I was born in the south. I despise the hot, humid summers we have in Tennessee, and I feel giddy when we have the occasional cold snap that takes the temperature down to the single digits. I love sweaters, scarves, and our fireplace. Most of all, I love snow. And we saw lots of it while we were there. It had snowed several inches the day that we arrived, and there was a total of about 18 inches on the ground. The drifts were taller than we were. Awesome.

We spent the first few days resting (Madeline and Daniel had both been sick the week before) and doing a little sightseeing. We checked out the little town of Woodstock, VT, went to the Ben and Jerry’s ice cream factory, went to a cheese making place and a really cool bakery, and just enjoyed being away from home and TOGETHER.

On Wednesday, my parents joined us in Killington, VT. Then Daniel and I got to ski at Killington for three days. Oh. My. Goodness. It was beautiful. And the snow conditions were amazing. And it wasn’t crowded at all. And we didn’t ski the same trail twice in three days of skiing. Yes, it was some great skiing. It was a little on the cold side. But we bundled up and used over a dozen hand warmers, and all but our noses and thumbs stayed nice and warm.

Here are a few photos of our trip:


Madeline was very kind to us on her first plane trip. She never ceases to amaze me. She behaved beautifully despite a very long day of traveling with no naps.



Madeline and dad in the snow on our first day in Vermont.



At the Ben and Jerry’s Factory.



Madeline reading about the inauguration of President Obama. Check out those four precious little teeth.



Here we are on the mountain all bundled up.



Yeah, I told you it was cold. It was so amazing how the snow clung to the trees. I have never seen anything like it. Gorgeous.



Playing in the snow.



Baby’s first snow angel.



Our happy family. :)


2 comments:

Out On a Limb said...

I love her little snow boots! Glad you guys had such a great vacation and got some Daniel & Sarah time too.

Jeni said...

Great pictures!! It sounds like you had a wonderful trip. I'm glad Daniel & Madeline were both feeling a little better. The Ben & Jerry's factory tour sounds fun!